So you’re ready to quit smoking? Congratulations on taking the first step in your journey and deciding to make one of the best choices of your life.
No matter who you are, or how long you’ve been smoking, it’s never too late to become a healthier and happier you without cigarettes. Here are some simple things you can do now, to give you a better go at giving up for good.
Make a quit plan
Like anything, having a plan in place to help you quit, makes it easier for you. Try to keep an open mind and know that you’re doing the best you can to improve your health.
Set a quit date
When preparing to quit, it’s common to set a ‘quit date’. Make sure it’s realistic, and then stick to it. This will give you the greatest chance of success. You can set a quit date when you register to start your quit journey.
Before your quit date you can:
- learn your triggers and why you smoke
- brainstorm activities to do instead
- choose which quit methods to use
- write down reasons for quitting, then keep them in view
- find a ‘Quit Buddy’, encourage and support each other
- tell everyone you’re quitting and that you’ll need their support
- throw out cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays from your house, car and workplace
- set step-by-step goals and rewards for not smoking.
Use this checklist to keep on track:
- bought quit products
- know how to use them
- Quitline number saved
- counselling appointments or calls scheduled
- lighter, cigarettes ashtrays thrown out.
Start your quit journey
Register to start your quit journey on Quit HQ.