If you’re a long-time smoker, certain people and places can remind you of smoking. Risky situations could include: your morning coffee, a lunch break with some co-workers or time spent with friends in the evening. For many smokers, drinking and cigarettes go hand-in-hand.
As much as you may want to smoke at these times, remember the reasons you quit. If you plan ahead of time, you’ll be more prepared when someone offers you a cigarette. Stay strong in uncomfortable situations by using these tips:
- Change what you’re doing – go for a walk, talk to a friend.
- Carry nicotine replacement gum, lozenges or spray.
- Have a friend to help keep you on track during the night.
- Cut out alcohol if it means you’ll be smoking.
- Carry a list of reasons you quit, so you can refer back to it.
- Go to the bathroom, wet your face and take deep breaths.